Kenneth E. Rubinstein practices as a Director in the firm's Boston, Massachusetts and Concord, New Hampshire offices and is a member of the firm's Litigation, Professional Liability and Construction Law Groups. Ken regularly represents public and private clients, as well as insurance companies and their insureds, in complex commercial disputes, with an emphasis on matters involving construction issues and financial professionals.
Ken has practical industry experience in both the construction and financial services industries, having worked at a Manhattan construction management firm and a "Big 6" accounting firm before beginning his practice as a civil trial lawyer. Prior to joining Preti Flaherty, Ken was an Officer at a New England law firm.
Professional Affiliations and Speaking Engagements
Ken is a member of the American Arbitration Association's Panel of Construction Arbitrators and was one of the founding co-chairs of the Construction Law Committee of the Massachusetts Bar Association. Ken has chaired or presented programs for the American Council of Engineering Companies' Annual Conference and Fall Convention, Build Boston, the Professional Liability Underwriting Society's Annual International Conference, the Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts, the Associated General Contractors of New Hampshire, Massachusetts Bar Association, and Suffolk University Law School. Ken is also a member of the Massachusetts Bar Association Civil Litigation Section Council. Ken assisted the Associated General Contractors of New Hampshire in drafting and supporting the AGC's proposed legislation to overhaul New Hampshire's mechanics lien law.
Ken has received regional and national awards for his work representing construction companies and financial professionals. In 2013, he was selected as one of Engineering News-Record's (ENR) Top Construction Professionals Under 40 in New England. In 2007, he was named one of 15 "Up & Coming Lawyers" by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly and was named one of the nation's Top 75 Most Influential Professionals in the Collection Industry by The Collector Magazine (the official publication of the Association of Credit and Collection Professionals). He was also recognized by New England Super Lawyers as a 2012 "Rising Star" for his work in Business Litigation, Construction Litigation and Professional Liability: Defense.
Ken has published articles and/or been cited as an industry expert in various national and regional media outlets including ENR magazine, Boston Business Journal, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, Best's Review, Business Insurance Magazine, The Standard, the Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors (AIRA) Journal, the New Hampshire Business Review, the New Hampshire Bar News, the Massachusetts Law Journal, and ESPN Radio.
- Represented engineer in $20 Million dispute arising from EPC contract for the construction of a combined cycle power plant
- Represented construction manager in $3 Million multi-party dispute over environmental remediation
- Served as lead counsel in representing leading retail logistics company in negotiation of over $150 Million in construction and services contracts
- Served as lead counsel defending prominent accounting firm in complex litigation involving $30 Million deepening insolvency claim
- Served as lead counsel defending well known financial institutional in $5 Million lender liability action
- Regularly represent numerous institutional creditors in enforcement of commercial debts in bankruptcy and workout situations